Monday, May 28, 2007

We COULD sail down the Suez canal, convoy and all!

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, the Suez canal, also known as the famous Red-Med connection!
We entered the Suez canal at 6am in the morning, and our journey from the Gulf of Suez, through the Great Bitter Lake and onwards North, travelling the entire length of the canal, took just over 12 hours.

There’s Africa to our left, and Asia to our right. This piece of water is all that separates two continents. This photo was taken around midday. Later on, a shrubbery sign on the bank of the canal welcomed you to Egypt, but unfortunately I didn’t capture it.

Here are some rice-paddy fields, interestingly on the African, not the Asian side.
Apparently, today 14% of the world’s trade is transported down this canal, with over 100 ships passing through per day. It was blocked up in 1967, by Israelis who sank ships in order to block it during war. It reopened in 1975, and although many of today’s oil-tankers are too large to pass through, we were able to! I must mention this fact because my Granddad didn’t think we’d be able to get through in our 975 passenger cruise-ship. Look Granddad, I have photos to prove it!
This boat was carrying cars, but why it came so close to us I have no idea.
I was looking at a great photography book yesterday in the library called "A View from a Window" by Heather Angel. It inspired me so much, I think I'll start including window-views in all my posts. Here's today's photo from deck 5, a view from a bar called The Cove on port-side.

1 comment:

Shammickite said...

Hi Becky: I didn't get a chance to comment on your post all about your trip to the Valley of the Kings, so I'm doing it here. I was there about 10 years ago, and I thought it was all wonderful. Before I went, I read every book on Ancient Egypt I could find, so that I would have some idea of what the guides would be telling us. Even went into Tutankhamen's tomb, and of course, saw all his treasures in the Cairo Museum. I'd love to go back to Egypt again, it was an absolutely fascinating place. You're so lucky to have seen it.