Sunday, September 9, 2007

Prins Christian Sund

En route to Nuuk, Greenland, this gorgeous passage was our setting for around 4 hours, from around 9am 'til 1pm.
It's peaceful, it's calm (a welcome change, we've cancelled three shows in as many days due to rough weather) and the icebergs are any colour from beige to bright blue.

The thing I never really thought about, regarding icebergs, is the age of them. Many are around 400 years old, once part of something much larger, and now they just drift.

The mist was really low, and my hands were freezing.

Here's a tiny eskimo (or is it Inuit?) village. I counted 8 houses in total.
I was just discussing how hard it must be to live there, how cut off etc. with some of the crew when as if to answer in a defiant gesture of mobility, a yellow boat came speeding up towards us, from the village, and sped right past.


















2 comments:

Shammickite said...

Lovley views. And the village is very colourful, but I think it might be a little too remote for me!

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

Ah lovely -- we had to sail around in 2005 as there was too much ice in the passage. Those colourful houses remind me of Qaqortoq.